As reported earlier, United European Car Carriers (UECC), jointly owned by Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK) and Wallenius Lines, has signed a contract to construct two dual fuel LNG PCTCs with 1A Super Finnish/Swedish ice class.
One of these, the world’s first dual fuel LNG PCTC M/V AUTO ECO had her formal Naming Ceremony at the Port of Zeebrugge, Belgium on 21 November 2016. The Godmother was Mrs. Claire Tillekaerts, CEO of Flanders Investment & Trade. Mr. Geert Bourgeois, the Minister-President of the Government of Flanders, Flemish Minister for Foreign Policy and Immovable Heritage attended the event.
The ship is 181 meters long and it can carry 4000 cars. The engines are dual fuel and can consume LNG, Marine Gas Oil and Heavy Fuel Oil.
- On March 6, 2014, in Oslo, UECC signed a contract to build two dual fuel PCTCs with Kawasaki Heavy Industries at the NACKS yard in China, Mr. Glenn Edvardsen (CEO/UECC) said at the cermony. - This was the start of an incredible journey - to construct the most technically advanced PCTC ever built, where the LNG installation would be a pioneering design and one of the largest employed on any commercial vessel, and the largest yet of its kind on a pure car and truck carrier. This required highly skilled and dedicated group of engineers along with great teamwork and cooperation. This was made possible by working together with NYK’s Technical Group and Wallenius Marine, and with invaluable support from Kawasaki Heavy Industries and NACKS. The result of this long process is the vessel you see here: A triumph of engineering, teamwork, and international cooperation.
- It is the first PCTC of its kind in the world to be fitted with a dual-fuel LNG propulsion system, allowing it to complete a fourteen-day round -trip voyage solely on LNG without refueling, Mr. Edvarsen continued. - AUTO ECO not only meets existing emissions regulations but also exceeds them, allowing her to trade in any Environment Control Area, worldwide.
- To make sure the vessel can trade safely in icy waters, AUTO ECO has been constructed to meet the highest ice class standard: Super 1A Finish /Swedish Ice Class. She may be scheduled to trade in the Baltic Sea, but AUTO ECO is capable of sailing just about anywhere – including the Northeast or Northwest Passage if ever called upon.
- AUTO ECO will help UECC achieve its vision: To be recognized as the leading provider of short sea Ro/Ro transport in Europe, Mr. Edvarsen concluded.
- The fact that the ceremony for the world’s first and largest dual fuel LNG PCTC is happening here in Flanders emphasizes the significant logistic operations of shipping companies in Flanders, Mr. Geert Bourgeois (Minister-President of the Government of Flanders, Flemish Minister for Foreign Policy and Immovable Heritage) said in his speech. - It also stresses the leading role of the Port of Zeebrugge as an LNG hub for Europe. Flanders is also home to the largest chemical cluster in Europe and thus offers a large knowledge base on materials and sustainable resources. The Flemish government approved an action plan “Clean Power for Transport” to stimulate the use of alternatively fueled vehicles and related infrastructure.
- The arrival of AUTO ECO constitutes multiple milestones in the history of the global shipping industry as well as the history of our port, Mr. Joachim Coens, President - Managing Director of Port of Zeebrugge said. - UECC is among the first movers when we speak about attention for durability and environment and we would like to congratulate UECC for being a front-runner for a greener future for shipping.
The Naming Ceremony concluded with Mr. Bjorn Svenningsen closing the ceremony and the rest of the event continued on deck number 5 on board the AUTO ECO, where all guests had the chance to tour the vessel.
With the addition of the AUTO ECO to the family, UECC assumes the role of a technological pioneer through the characteristics of this unique vessel. She is also able to improve the reliability and competitiveness of UECC in the market, providing stability and efficient services to our customers.
UECC (United European Car Carriers) is a leading short-sea operator and logistics provider for the transportation of cars, vans and high & heavy cargo in Europe. The company was established in 1990 and holds contracts with all the major vehicle manufacturers. With a fleet of more than 20 purpose-built vessels, UECC transports around 1.7 million car equivalent units annually. UECC also operates several vehicle terminals in major European ports. UECC is owned in equal shares by Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK), one of the world’s largest shipping companies, and by Wallenius Lines of Stockholm, Sweden’s foremost shipping enterprise.
UECC's services on ShortseaSchedules: